Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The adventure continues

Well, I thought the layover in Frankfurt would be the last of winter I would have to see. I expected to be back in lovely, temperate California by now. The Air Canada flight out from Frankfurt was delayed for de-icing. I napped while this was going on, so I assumed it would take 10 minutes, like it did at Copenhagen. Apparently the flight was actually delayed for 2 hours, so by the time we arrived at Calgary, it was already past six.

We waited in a loooong line at customs. Then I had to pick up my suitcase from the baggage claim, and then recheck it and get a boarding pass. Unfortunately, it was already nearly 7 when I got through customs, and the bag never showed up, and the flight was leaving at 7:14, and it was just a big mess.

Air Canada really needs to revamp its baggage handling system. They kept dumping out all these suitcases that sat in piles two or three high on the carousel, that nobody was claiming. Everyone already present didn't see their bags for the longest time. (Or in my case, at all). I would have just gone through to my connecting flight, but they said we were not supposed to leave without our bags.

Eventually, I had to go to the lost baggage counter. It was already past 7:30, and the SF-bound flight had already left. Unfortunately, I found out it was the last flight of the day. (In any case, the US customs gate had also closed at 7 pm, so it was unlikely that I could have gotten through). It turns out lots of Frankfurt bags hadn't arrived (even though we had plenty of time for them to ensure all the luggage got on board in Germany). Since my final flight is to SFO, I am supposed to file the missing bag form once I arrive in San Francisco. It would have been nice for them to tell us earlier; I would have just gotten on the flight for home.

Anyhow, I am booked for an 8 a.m. flight to SF. (I am supposed to show up at 6 a.m. ... and no, that's no longer considered arriving early, lol.) I guess I will have to spend another 12 hours away from home. So there's another story for the stack that is this Copenhagen Adventure.

I suppose in a way I now get to commiserate with all the people trapped on the East Coast, in Europe, between UK and France, by air or rail or bus, as they seek to get to their December destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment